Senior Distinguished Scientist, Department Head
This is where ideas are pioneered and innovation takes shape. Where being a health journey partner takes shape — and where you can help bring ideas to life. Research & Development is the heart of our business. The clinical research, clinical development and clinical trials that are essential to new product development all happen here. Preclinical drug safety is rigorously tested and our program management teams ensure everything stays on track. Together, our R&D team ensures that our pipeline is protected and productive — and that the early stages of development run smoothly and effectively. Come be part of this journey.
Health & Wellness
Comprehensive coverage including medical, dental, vision, and health and wellness programs.
Sanofi wants to ensure employees are equipped for financial health, Sanofi provides a competitive 401K Match program and Financial Wel-Being Tools and Programs.
At Sanofi, we demonstrate our commitment to inclusion and diversity through Culture groups and programs. There are many ways to make a difference and connect with other Sanofi employees: including ERG groups and 2 PAID days off to Volunteer.
Sanofi provides significant Work/Life benefits to help you excel beyond the workday. Including Workplace Flexibility through part‑time, remote work, flex‑time and job share options.
"My family is everything to me. They are proud of the work I do, educating the community and ensuring that no Pompe patient is left behind."C. Richard Cioci Clinical Science Associate – Pompe Ontario East & Atlantic
"I am continually impressed at the dedication that Sanofi has to the patients for whom we provide solutions."Suncére Hernandez Area Business Manager, Multiple Sclerosis
"I give thanks to my powerhouse team for reminding me that I have a support system behind me, pushing me forward."Bob Shustack Head of Global Support Functions Finance, North America
Accomplished drug discovery scientist to lead Sanofi U.S. small molecule medicinal chemistry group.
- Oversight of ~30 internal medicinal chemists and ~50 external synthetic organic chemists
- Management of Computational Assisted Drug design (CADD) team, informatics group and Chemical Biology team
- US representative of global Medicinal Chemistry Council
- Prioritize internal/external chemistry FTE across global portfolio
- Support identification, analysis and review of new technology
- Track early-staged programs, and ensure appropriate distribution of resources
- Represent Integrated Drug Discovery (IDD) at Therapeutic Working Group (TWG) meetings
- Provide critical and constructive input, drug discovery expertise and support strategy moving programs through key milestones
- Participate in US led project core team meetings
- Help set project strategy
- Prioritize key studies across platform
- Provide guidance on timelines and budgets
- Direct supervision of a team of nine senior leaders (Senior Leadership Team)
- Set biweekly strategy meeting and discuss project priorities, resource needs and operational needs/challenges
- Work with junior project leaders, provide mentorship and strategic guidance
- Maintain scientific knowledge around a portfolio of up to 15 projects
- Manage IDD US Medicinal Chemistry budgets, capital equipment and operational needs; safety and compliance of team; general HR oversight (reviews, goals, compensation, career development)
- Support patent filings, external publications (papers, posters, presentations)
- Work directly with US head of In Vitro Biology IDD, therapeutics heads (e.g. Rare Blood Disorders, Oncology, Rare Disease and Neuroscience, Immunology), additional local platform heads (safety, DMPK, pharmaceutics, etc.)
- Instill Sanofi values across the team, with a focus on patients; maintain a sense of urgency moving projects toward the clinic
- Continue to expand expertise in medicinal and organic chemistry, drug discovery and therapeutic areas
- Represent Sanofi both internally and externally through publications, presentations and representation at relevant scientific meetings
- Support due diligence of external opportunities: novel technology, discovery collaborations, in-licensing of advanced chemical matter or potential development candidates
Requirements & Qualifications
- PhD in organic synthesis or medicinal chemistry with a minimum of 12 years of relevant research experience in a biopharmaceutical setting
- Experience leading large and diverse teams of scientists
- Experience working with large interdisciplinary and diverse teams
- Deep medicinal chemistry expertise with a strong understanding of supporting disciplines (DMPK, safety, pharmacology, CMC) and how they can impact advancement of a drug candidate
- Track record of delivering molecules through key milestones and into clinical development
- Track record of scientific publications, presentations and patents as a contributor or senior author with an established external visibility
Sanofi Inc. and its U.S. affiliates are Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employers committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; nationality; marital, domestic partnership or civil union status; sex, gender, gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation; disability; veteran or military status or liability for military status; domestic violence victim status; atypical cellular or blood trait; genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing) or any other characteristic protected by law.
At Sanofi diversity and inclusion is foundational to how we operate and embedded in our Core Values. We recognize to truly tap into the richness diversity brings we must lead with inclusion and have a workplace where those differences can thrive and be leveraged to empower the lives of our colleagues, patients and customers. We respect and celebrate the diversity of our people, their backgrounds and experiences and provide equal opportunity for all.
Join Our Talent Community