Principal Scientist Hemoglobinopathies
This is where ideas are pioneered and innovation takes shape. Where being a health journey partner takes shape — and where you can help bring ideas to life. Research & Development is the heart of our business. The clinical research, clinical development and clinical trials that are essential to new product development all happen here. Preclinical drug safety is rigorously tested and our program management teams ensure everything stays on track. Together, our R&D team ensures that our pipeline is protected and productive — and that the early stages of development run smoothly and effectively. Come be part of this journey.
Health & Wellness
Comprehensive coverage including medical, dental, vision, and health and wellness programs.
Sanofi wants to ensure employees are equipped for financial health, Sanofi provides a competitive 401K Match program and Financial Wel-Being Tools and Programs.
At Sanofi, we demonstrate our commitment to inclusion and diversity through Culture groups and programs. There are many ways to make a difference and connect with other Sanofi employees: including ERG groups and 2 PAID days off to Volunteer.
Sanofi provides significant Work/Life benefits to help you excel beyond the workday. Including Workplace Flexibility through part‑time, remote work, flex‑time and job share options.
"My family is everything to me. They are proud of the work I do, educating the community and ensuring that no Pompe patient is left behind."C. Richard Cioci Clinical Science Associate – Pompe Ontario East & Atlantic
"I am continually impressed at the dedication that Sanofi has to the patients for whom we provide solutions."Suncére Hernandez Area Business Manager, Multiple Sclerosis
"I give thanks to my powerhouse team for reminding me that I have a support system behind me, pushing me forward."Bob Shustack Head of Global Support Functions Finance, North America
We are seeking a highly motivated and creative PhD level biologist to lead our hemoglobinopathies cell and gene therapy research group and contribute to the development of next generation therapies for sickle cell disease and other hemoglobinopathies. The successful candidate will provide scientific leadership and play a pivotal role in advancing our gene editing programs in collaboration with Sangamo Biotherapeutics (ex vivo, non-viral gene editing of patient HSC for autologous stem cell therapy) as well as contribute to the preclinical development of novel small molecule and biological therapeutics for the potential treatment of hemoglobinopathies. The candidate will be responsible for the scientific leadership of preclinical research work, and is expected to effectively work within cross-functional teams in a matrix environment to drive programs forward. The ideal candidate possesses experience in one or more of the following: sickle cell disease and hematological research biology, hematopoietic stem cell biology, gene editing/genomics, including analytical methodologies, and a working knowledge of drug discovery research.
- Lead a hemoglobinopathies research group (up to 4 scientists/associates), including scientific mentorship, experimental guidance, study prioritization and people management/career development
- Represent research on the joint Sanofi/Sangamo cell and gene therapy hemoglobinopathies R&D teams
- Mentor scientists and serve as project leader on novel small molecule and biological research programs for hemoglobinopathies
- Contribute to overall strategic direction and capability build for Bioverativ R&D in gene therapy, as well as assessments of business development opportunities
- Contribute to a collaborative team culture by developing relationships with research and development colleagues within Sanofi and Sangamo
- Establish and oversee external collaborations, including ongoing Sponsored Research Agreements
- Serve as a key scientific subject matter expert and maintain a working knowledge of current experimental techniques and literature in the field of hemoglobinopathies, hematopoietic stem cell biology and gene editing
- Share and present scientific result and strategic recommendations to group members, multi-disciplinary research teams, and when, appropriate at external meetings or conferences
- Author study reports, regulatory documents and scientific manuscripts
- Work well in a matrixed, fast-paced environment
The ideal candidate:
- possesses research experience and technical skills in hemoglobinopathies disease research, hematology, hematopoietic stem cell biology and/or gene editing/genomics, including a strong publication and presentation record in notable scientific forums
- possesses a strong working knowledge of the drug discovery process and can effectively operate on cross-functional drug discovery research and clinical teams
- preferably has experience in in vitro hematopoietic stem cell expansion, transfection, transduction and genome editing and in vivo cell xenotransplantation, including multi-color flow cytometry
- is familiar and proficient with gene editing techniques and assay development and validation, including next-generation sequencing.; bulk and single-cell transcriptome analysis experience is a plus
- has a proven track record of strong managerial experience, including people management, talent planning, retention and career mentorship
- keeps up-to-date on relevant literature and applies knowledge to the strategic direction of Sanofi research
- effectively communicates and collaborates in a multi-disciplinary team environment
- is comfortable with changing direction and taking risks
- can work independently and proactively; is a self-starter and results-driven
- PhD in Pharmacology, Biology or related biological science with 12+ years of relevant post-doctoral and industry experience
At Sanofi diversity and inclusion is foundational to how we operate and embedded in our Core Values. We recognize to truly tap into the richness diversity brings we must lead with inclusion and have a workplace where those differences can thrive and be leveraged to empower the lives of our colleagues, patients and customers. We respect and celebrate the diversity of our people, their backgrounds and experiences and provide equal opportunity for all.
Join Our Talent Community