Medical Science Liaison - Rare Disease - Midwest Region (MI, WI, MN)
Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport Air Reserve Station, Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota, Detroit, Michigan, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Medical Science Liaison (MSL) - Rare Disease
The Medical Science Liaison (MSL) will be responsible for providing non-promotional scientific, educational, and research support for the Genzyme Rare Disease portfolio in the respective territory. The MSL position is a field based member of the Medical Affairs team. The MSL should be highly trained in a health care field and well versed in clinical practice and basic science. The MSL should be able to deliver cutting edge data and technical/practical education to Health Care Professionals (HCPs).
NOTE: Territory includes MI, WI, MN. The successful candidate will live in the territory, or be willing to relocate there at own cost.
The MSL will be responsible for developing and maintaining relationships with key Rare Disease experts and building a well-informed advocacy base for Genzyme's Rare Disease franchise, including compounds in the development program. The MSL will act as a conduit for providing accurate and updated clinical, scientific and medical information to Rare Disease Experts, health care professionals, treatments decision makers and other members of the scientific, provider and payer community (private insurance, payers, medical groups, government agencies, and health systems with drug formularies), in compliance with all relevant company policies.
This territory is based in the Midwest US and covers, Wisconsin, Michigan, Iowa, and Indiana, and will have 60% travel.
- Maintains business and clinical knowledge of the Rare Disease treatment landscape including current treatment strategies, current and pending competitors, and new therapeutic developments.
- Increases Genzyme's visibility among leaders in the therapeutic field of Rare Diseases including Genetics, Cardiovascular, and Endocrinology. Identifies, establishes and maintains collaborative relationships with key experts, investigators and institutions strategic to product development.
- Participates in medical education for healthcare professionals through presentations at office visits, investigator meetings, advisory boards, medical meetings, and other appropriate venues to enhance product and disease state knowledge.
- Collaborates with clinical team and CRA's to coordinate and optimize educational and research support for sites/investigators participating in Genzyme's clinical trials.
- Responds to unsolicited requests regarding interest in investigator sponsored studies (ISS), and supports ISS submissions through appropriate internal processes.
- Responds to unsolicited request for medical information associated with supported products and disease state areas.
- Provides effective clinical presentations to internal and external audiences and tailors presentations to meet specific needs of the audience (appropriate response to unsolicited requests).
- Identifies and communicates key clinical and research issues and insights from industry leaders to appropriate departments to help shape company research, development, and strategies for investigational and commercialized products.
- Facilitates the identification of medical community educational needs around disease state management, including awareness and understanding of appropriate/inappropriate use of company products.
- Collaborates with internal and external stakeholders in support of needs of Key
Opinion leaders (KOLs).
- Maintains clinical expertise through comprehensive education including attendance at relevant symposia, scientific workshops, and review of key journals. Participation in required internal training, presentations and journal clubs.
- Maintains appropriate communication with Medical, Regulatory, and Legal personnel within the company to ensure appropriate timelines and procedures are met.
- Adheres to regulatory and compliance guidelines and company policies in all aspects of scientific dissemination of information to include responses to unsolicited requests for medical information.
- Enhances clinical/scientific knowledge of customers and colleagues through education and appropriate scientific exchange.
- Works collaboratively with relevant internal stakeholders to identify local/regional educational gaps/needs and apply appropriate field medical support that is aligned with medical strategy.
- Provides field updates regarding topics of interest.
- Addresses administrative and reporting needs on a timely basis or as requested by management, including documenting of MSL activities into CRM as required.
- Provides clinical presentations to Payer groups as requested.
· Travel 60% or greater, including domestic and international travel as needed.
Minimum requirements include:
- Master's degree in a life science subject and 3 or more years related pharma/biotech experience or 5 years in a Rare Disease clinical environment.
- Valid driver’s license with a clean driving record and ability to pass a complete background check
- Driving a company car in a safe manner to daily meetings and appointments is required
- Responsible for operating the motor vehicle using safe driving practices, knowledge of and compliance with all company policies, and obeying all traffic laws.
Master level Genetic Counselor’s degree, PharmD, MD, PhD, or other doctoral-level degree preferred and 2 years related pharma/biotech experience.
Consideration will be given to candidates with advanced health care degrees and relevant industry/clinical experience.
Knowledge and experience in field medical Rare Diseases (Lysosomal Storage Diseases) preferred.
Preferred previous pharmaceutical industry experience.
Clear understanding of regional medical practice and clinical decision making regards to patient care.
Ability to identify the unmet medical, educational, and research needs within the regional medical community.
Interpretation of key scientific data and ability to translate this information to meet educational and research needs.
Demonstrated ability to address educational and research needs through delivery of cutting edge scientific/evidenced based data.
Understanding of healthcare systems affecting patient care.
Understanding of the design and execution of research studies.
Exemplary communication and presentation skills.
Ability to think strategically.
Understanding of and ability to implement field medical tactics/activities which include, but are not limited to: Disease state, current therapies, outcomes, and basic health economic parameters.
Understanding of highly regulated pharmaceuticals environment.
Ability to initiate and maintain relationships with medical community.
US – Sanofi Genzyme
Genzyme Corporation (a Sanofi company) and its U.S. affiliates are Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employers committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; nationality; marital, domestic partnership or civil union status; sex, gender, gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation; disability; veteran or military status or liability for military status; domestic violence victim status; atypical cellular or blood trait; genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing) or any other characteristic protected by law.
At Sanofi diversity and inclusion is foundational to how we operate and embedded in our Core Values. We recognize to truly tap into the richness diversity brings we must lead with inclusion and have a workplace where those differences can thrive and be leveraged to empower the lives of our colleagues, patients and customers. We respect and celebrate the diversity of our people, their backgrounds and experiences and provide equal opportunity for all.
Join Our Talent Community