Scientist, Microbial Fermentation, Protein Sciences, Early Stage, CMC Process Development
La Jolla, California
This is where ideas are pioneered and innovation takes shape. Where being a health journey partner takes shape — and where you can help bring ideas to life. Research & Development is the heart of our business. The clinical research, clinical development and clinical trials that are essential to new product development all happen here. Preclinical drug safety is rigorously tested and our program management teams ensure everything stays on track. Together, our R&D team ensures that our pipeline is protected and productive — and that the early stages of development run smoothly and effectively. Come be part of this journey.
Health & Wellness
Comprehensive coverage including medical, dental, vision, and health and wellness programs.
Sanofi wants to ensure employees are equipped for financial health, Sanofi provides a competitive 401K Match program and Financial Wel-Being Tools and Programs.
At Sanofi, we demonstrate our commitment to inclusion and diversity through Culture groups and programs. There are many ways to make a difference and connect with other Sanofi employees: including ERG groups and 2 PAID days off to Volunteer.
Sanofi provides significant Work/Life benefits to help you excel beyond the workday. Including Workplace Flexibility through part‑time, remote work, flex‑time and job share options.
"My family is everything to me. They are proud of the work I do, educating the community and ensuring that no Pompe patient is left behind."C. Richard Cioci Clinical Science Associate – Pompe Ontario East & Atlantic
"I am continually impressed at the dedication that Sanofi has to the patients for whom we provide solutions."Suncére Hernandez Area Business Manager, Multiple Sclerosis
"I give thanks to my powerhouse team for reminding me that I have a support system behind me, pushing me forward."Bob Shustack Head of Global Support Functions Finance, North America
Synthorx, a Sanofi Company, is using a novel synthetic biology platform for the discovery and development of transformational protein therapeutics. We are hiring a driven Scientist with strong background in microbial protein expression and a working knowledge of protein biochemistry. This candidate will be responsible for the development of protein expression processes using Synthorx E.coli recombinant platform to support lead candidate selection, pre‐clinical studies and technical transfer to external GMP manufacturing partners. We are seeking a self‐starting, highly independent and collaborative individual, able to operate at high pace to meet aggressive timelines.
• Perform all steps of protein expression and scale‐up. Experience with microbial fermentation is required. Experience with E.coli fermentation is highly desirable.
• Experimentally determine methods to optimize yields and other process parameters for protein expression.
• Experience with recombinant production of polypeptides.
• Lead fermentation process optimization using a data driven approach.
• Experience with fermentation equipment at bench, pilot and industrial scale.
• Collaborate with platform and downstream process development teams to ensure efficient integration of fermentation and upstream and downstream functions.
• Develop standard operating procedures, document protocols and technology transfer.
• Support internal lead discovery efforts and pre‐clinical studies.
• Supervise/Mentor junior staff and provide insight and technical expertise for project progression.
• Maintain a high standard for quality control including up‐to‐date data records for all protein deliveries. • Troubleshoot challenging technical, experimental, and instrumental issues.
• PhD degree with a major in biochemistry, biochemical engineer, microbial physiology, biology or related field and 3+ or MSc and 10+ years of hands‐on experience with recombinant protein production.
• Experience with E. coli‐based protein expression including scale‐up preparation employing fermentation instrumentation and protocols.
• Strong understanding of microbial physiology and its impact on process optimization.
• Experience with platform systems for incorporation of novel amino acids into polypeptides is a plus.
• Experience with DOE methodology for improving fermentation titers is highly desired.
• Experience in protein characterization (SDS PAGE, Western Blotting, HPLC). Understanding of MS methods for QC is a plus.
• Familiarity with protocols involving extraction from inclusion bodies and refolding is a plus.
• Hands‐on familiarity with standard molecular biology methods.
• Regular activities require ability to communicate effectively and rapidly reprioritize to match dynamic and demanding timelines.
Additional preferred skills:
• Experience in technical transfer to external CMOs.
• Experience in regulatory submissions.
• Basic understanding of cancer biology and/or immunology.
At Sanofi diversity and inclusion is foundational to how we operate and embedded in our Core Values. We recognize to truly tap into the richness diversity brings we must lead with inclusion and have a workplace where those differences can thrive and be leveraged to empower the lives of our colleagues, patients and customers. We respect and celebrate the diversity of our people, their backgrounds and experiences and provide equal opportunity for all.
Join Our Talent Community