Medical Science Liaison (MSL) Manager - Multiple Sclerosis - West Region
Denver, CO;San Francisco, CA;San Diego, CA;Phoenix, AZ;Salt Lake City, UT;Dallas, TX;Los Angeles, CA;Seattle, WA;Las Vegas, NV;Portland, OR;Albuquerque, NM;Remote, US
Sanofi, in the U.S. and Canada, strives to create a diverse and inclusive work environment that empowers employees to drive their careers and be successful. As the field-based scientific lead serving as the comprehensive scientific/medical/managed care expert for the Sanofi, candidates within Medical Affairs will help build strong relationships and networks with healthcare decision makers, provide insights to internal teams on evidence gaps to help inform research and product strategy, and identifies/facilitates outcomes research, education, and other collaborations per applicable Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs). The position supports strategic and cross functional alignment within the organization in order to optimize patient access and ensure safe and appropriate use of Sanofi therapies.
Good morning Sanofi
How are you?
HEALTH AND WELLNESS PROGRAMS
Comprehensive coverage including medical, dental, vision, and health and wellness programs.
Employer matching because Sanofi invests in their employees!
Sanofi is eager to further your development and expertise in an ever challenging environment.
Sanofi understands the importance of family. We offer a variety of support including maternity/paternity leave.
PAID TIME OFF
Enjoy 3 weeks’ vacation and paid holidays, including company shutdown at the end of every year!
Importance of life outside of the office is valued at Sanofi.
Note: This role covers the West Region, which includes states West of the Mississippi River.
Summary of purpose/major responsibilities
The Medical Science Liaison (MSL) Manager is mandated to align and execute to the strategy and tactical plan for engagement with the scientific community and oversee the effective and efficient functioning of individual MSLs and the MSL team.
The MSL Manager main objectives are to:
- Coach, train and manage MSL performance including monitoring metrics towards set KPIs ensuring
excellence in execution of their role towards achieving strategic and tactical goals.
- Ensure strong career pathways are established through development planning of team and oneself to ensure talent engagement and retention.
- Understand and meet needs of product lifecycle management through resource deployment planning meeting customer engagement strategies.
- Thinks strategically in the development and execution of tactical Medical Engagement Plans and MSL tools aligned with the Brand strategic focus.
- Ensure that MSLs hold robust current scientific knowledge to facilitate the MSL timely, appropriate, balanced, scientific exchanges with key external experts.
- Demonstrate the value of Sanofi medical and the value of Sanofi products through supporting strong MSL relationships with key external experts, including the identification of local data generation initiatives to support own company’s medical and commercial objectives and obligations, as well as stakeholder needs.
- Transversely cooperate with internal stakeholders to support the generation and communication of scientific and medical insights to internal stakeholders.
- Ensure excellence in execution of all governance processes and manage MSL resources and budgets.
Team coaching and development
- Regularly spend time witnessing MSL field activities, appropriately diagnosing elements and offering feedback to support improvement of skills to impact performance and professional development
- Monitor MSLs’ execution of plans within their respective territories and with crucial KOLs via regular coaching sessions. Use the Field Coaching Report (FCR) and other feedback mechanisms to support skill development.
- Monitor and focus MSL’s operational efficiencies to ensure correct balance towards external-facing activities.
- Support and guide the MSL’s individual and team development (clinical, technical and leadership skills) appropriately prioritizing elements of improvement through a customized training and career plan. Consider the needs of the MSL and of the business supporting attracting, engaging and retaining MSL talent for example successfully on-board new employees
- Collaborate with MSL Head to select appropriate key performance indicators (KPIs) and monitor MSLs’ progress against KPIs. Inform the business of progress and coach/course correct team towards success.
- Manage budget appropriately and ensure fiduciary responsibility is practiced by direct reports
- Ensure all MSLs fulfill global and corporate training requirements and compliance towards applicable internal and external policies and regulations.
- Identify and support opportunities for innovation and field excellence initiatives to differentiate Sanofi medical and help achieve and exceed department objectives Support the development of an action plan to close “gaps” in current organization.
KOL strategy and management
- Collaborate with global and regional medical affairs to develop country and territory-level strategic and tactical Medical Engagement Plans
- Translate overall priorities into specific goals and expected outcomes for target region and individual MSLs
- Supervise the identification, mapping and quarterly review of KOLs for each MSL in their territory to prioritize key territory stakeholders and develop customized engagement plans
- Review, monitor, and analyze feedback insights from the KOLs on key information concerning our company’s strategy, products, image, or competition
- Engage on cross-functional collaboration where appropriate
- Support, attend, and follow up on scientific congresses, symposia, or other events where appropriate
Communicate scientific and medical information/insights
- Able to oversee insights generation activities and ensure actionable insights are incorporated in strategic planning processes
- Evaluate and summarize feedback on key scientific medical and clinical information to provide insights of impact for internal functions
- Facilitate communication and organize meetings and events among MSLs and with other functions to promote best demonstrated practices where appropriate
- KOL engagement plans aligned with overall goals and medical strategy
- Development plans of the MSL individual and team aligned to MSL competencies and proficiency of skill, knowledge and behaviour levels.
- Monthly/quarterly reports of MSL performance (inclusive of insights gathered) benchmarked against set KPIs.
Context of the job/major challenges
- MSL Managers are required to travel in order to witness MSL field activities and effectively coach performance as MSLs need to travel substantially given the field-facing nature of the role; there will also be a need to manage individuals and the team remotely given the field-facing nature of these roles
- MSL Managers need to ensure that the team operates within compliance policies pertaining to interaction with health care professionals and the commercial organization
- MSL Managers may need to debate issues, including addressing corporate policy between other topics, which may be controversial or sensitive for KOLs
- MSL Managers have to expected to work collaboratively across the organization while respecting the boundaries that exist between medical and commercial operations
- MSL Managers are expected to lead by example and model core company values creating a culture of accountability, performance recognition and teamwork.
- Manage a base of 6-7 MSLs, including complete oversight of the near term needs (e.g. training, etc.) and long term requirements (e.g. career plan, etc.)
- Provide clear direction and expectations to MSL team to ensure comprehension and understand rationale for business decisions in accordance with Medical Affairs strategy
- Track and monitor agreed KPIs as well as develop and execute remedial plans, as necessary
- Review, monitor, and analyze field insights concerning our company’s strategy, products, image, or competition.
- Accountability to communicate with medical affairs leadership and share best practices/key learnings across the organization
- Valid driver’s license with a clean driving record and ability to pass a complete background check
- Driving a company car in a safe manner to daily meetings and appointments is required
- Responsible for operating the motor vehicle using safe driving practices, knowledge of and compliance with all company policies, and obeying all traffic laws.
- Ability to travel up to approximately 60%, across the territory.
- Doctorate degree (MD, PhD, Pharm D) from an accredited university strongly preferred, or RN/NP/PA with at least a Master's degree in Life Sciences with Healthcare Specialty preferred
- Area of specialization related to therapeutic area highly regarded.
- Post-bachelor’s degree from accredited university (e.g. Masters, MBA or equivalent): valuable, not required
5+ years of MSL experience strongly preferred
2+ years of people-management experience strongly preferred.
Specific competencies and skills of particular importance to the role include, but are not limited to:
- Ability to create and deploy MSL field team in line with business objectives, measure effectiveness, and course correct for success
- Demonstrates a satisfactory level of technical and professional skills to impact department’s ability to meet objectives
- Is able to work effectively on multi-disciplinary teams in order to set and meet mutual goals and objectives
- Demonstrates project management skills and effectively manages multiple competing priorities, focusing on priorities of higher impact while maintaining control over competing priorities
- Through timely coaching, clear expectations and appropriate management of individuals, motivates and guide the team toward successful outcomes and attainment of department objectives.
- Identifies the critical tasks and resources necessary to achieve the desired objectives and ensure execution of strategies
- Deep understanding and knowledge of local regulations and codes of practice for pharmaceutical industry, in particular as they apply to the non-promotional activities of this role.
- High degree of knowledge of relevant healthcare systems, the evolving medical landscape, regulatory and payer environment, public health and industry trends to accurately identify key issues and develop strategies and plans
- Working knowledge and fluency of English (as second language where relevant)
Sanofi Inc. and its U.S. affiliates are Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employers committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; nationality; marital, domestic partnership or civil union status; sex, gender, gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation; disability; veteran or military status or liability for military status; domestic violence victim status; atypical cellular or blood trait; genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing) or any other characteristic protected by law.
At Sanofi diversity and inclusion is foundational to how we operate and embedded in our Core Values. We recognize to truly tap into the richness diversity brings we must lead with inclusion and have a workplace where those differences can thrive and be leveraged to empower the lives of our colleagues, patients and customers. We respect and celebrate the diversity of our people, their backgrounds and experiences and provide equal opportunity for all.
Jobs for you
Your jobsSaved Jobs Recent Jobs
You have not saved any jobs yet
You have not viewed any jobs yet