Global Public Affairs Lead, Rare Diseases- Venglustat
Sanofi (NYSE: SNY) is a leading global integrated healthcare company that discovers, develops and distributes therapeutic solutions to improve the lives of everyone. With 100,000 dedicated professionals in more than 100 countries, Sanofi is devoted to advancing healthcare around the world.
Global Public Affairs (PA) is a critical engagement function and essential partner in the successful development and execution of the company’s strategy. Our purpose is to create the conditions that promote scientific innovation and enable sustainable access for patients to Sanofi’s portfolio. We do this by engaging with patients, caregivers, policy makers and other relevant stakeholders to shape the health care policy environment. Our ambition is to be a trailblazing PA organization that actively shapes the future health landscape by inspiring multi-stakeholders behind a common agenda. Global Public Affairs is organized by Global Business Units (GBUs), and in this case supports the Sanofi Genzyme GBU across all geographies.
The Global Public Affairs Head, Rare Diseases for Venglustat is the senior functional expert to the Venglustat Global Therapeutic Area and contributes to actively co-create and represent Sanofi Genzyme’s passionate commitment to patients and those that serve them.
Venglustat is a pipeline in a product with the potential to treat patients in different disease areas:
- Autosomal Dominant Polycystic Kidney Disease (ADPKD)
- Fabry Disease (FD)
- Gaucher Disease, type 3 (GD3)
- GM2 gangliosidosis (GM2)
Fundamental to this role are:
Designing global policy and advocacy strategies aligned with key business objectives and supporting well-aligned execution at Local level. Preparing the Rare Disease ecosystem to ensure sustainable access for our marketed products and pipeline. Establishing and maintaining meaningful partnerships and platforms with the patient, caregiver communities (and other relevant global stakeholders) that improve health and well-being. Shaping our strategies through insights drawn from patient and key stakeholder perspectives and identifying innovative solutions to meet the dynamic needs of the patient.
Additional core responsibilities are to build on the strong patient-focused culture of Sanofi Genzyme—strengthening our impact and differentiating the company as a cutting-edge leader in behalf of patients. The role reports solid line to the Global Public Affairs Head, Rare within the Genzyme Business Unit.
- Reinforce Sanofi Genzyme’s long-standing position as a leader in innovation and patient commitment in ADPK, Gaucher Type 3, Fabry, GM2 and Rare Diseases.
- Drive “Where to Play” strategy for select priority markets, focusing on areas where PA can deliver value.
- Develop an external policy/market shaping framework for Venglustat in priority countries to drive diagnosis and accelerate/sustain access to treatment, in close collaboration with local PA teams to ensure global strategies reflect local realities and relevance of global tools.
- Collaborate to leverage resources and expertise across Genzyme’s brand team to align and champion one Genzyme voice by:
- ensuring external community input is considered/incorporated into programs currently in development and/or life cycle improvements.
- shaping policy, guidelines to ensure patient awareness of clinical trials and access to treatment.
- Understand important trends likely to impact the patient and policymaker community and business strategy – monitor and analyze potential threats, opportunities from external developments and communicate them effectively to the GBU leadership.
- Develop and execute external engagement strategy to bolster Sanofi’s commitment to science and patients in the therapeutic areas relevant to Venglustat.
- Create and partner on innovative programs and platforms that improve the environment and address the pressing needs of patient and caregiver communities.
- Anticipates and manages thoughtful interactions, agendas and issues with professional organizations and non-profit partners.
- Successfully works with external patient/caregiver and relevant organizations to strengthen capability and capacity, enabling effective, sustainable organizations.
- Contributes to Sanofi Genzyme’s approach for contributions, sponsorships and grants to US and Global patient organizations.
- Bachelor’s Degree (accredited four-year College or university; e.g. political sciences, law, economics, medicine, or pharmacy), is required
- Post-graduate degree in public health or health care related field /Doctorate degree or business (e.g., M.D., PhD, PharmD, MBA or equivalent) is preferred
- A minimum of 12-years of professional experience in public affairs and patient advocacy, with responsibilities for market-shaping strategies, policy and advocacy campaigns, or advanced responsibilities in an industry (or advocacy global institution) public affairs role
- Experience in rare Diseases is required, with specific expertise in Kidney Disease is highly preferred
- Experience in Parkinson's Disease is preferred
- This position will require strong collaboration across the Local and Global teams. Identified candidates will have proven experience in developing and leading within a highly matrixed environment
- Previous experience partnering with Market Access and/or Communications cross-functional teams is preferred
- This position may require up to 30% overall travel
- Languages: Fluent English (oral & written) French or other languages a plus
- Strategic thinker with demonstrated understanding of the decisive role of Public Affairs and Patient Advocacy in driving business success.
- Solid track record in translating strategy to action: developing high impact Public Affairs strategies, deploying PA tools and tactics to meet business objectives.
- Strong leader with proven leadership ability to build consensus, influence the debate, mobilize teams around a position or cause.
- Team player, skilled in collaboration and able to work and lead with ease cross-functionally and within a matrix.
- Working knowledge of policy and political environment, legislative processes and role of supra-national bodies.
- Skilled at developing and cultivating relationships with patient organizations and other strategic partners.
- Strong knowledge of stakeholder groups, including multi-lateral institutions, trade associations and patient organizations.
- Knowledge of the healthcare industry, appreciation of critical trends shaping the operating landscape and relevance to industry/business strategy.
- Demonstrated ability to work with teams of experts and senior leaders in a highly matrixed organization.
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Comfortable in ambiguous settings and in operating effectively in fast paced environments.
- Mindset that thinks Global and implements Local.
- Insatiable Curiosity.
- Constant Connector.
- Compassion and authenticity.
- Accountable achiever.
- Game changer.
Sanofi Inc. and its U.S. affiliates are Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employers committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; nationality; marital, domestic partnership or civil union status; sex, gender, gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation; disability; veteran or military status or liability for military status; domestic violence victim status; atypical cellular or blood trait; genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing) or any other characteristic protected by law.
At Sanofi diversity and inclusion is foundational to how we operate and embedded in our Core Values. We recognize to truly tap into the richness diversity brings we must lead with inclusion and have a workplace where those differences can thrive and be leveraged to empower the lives of our colleagues, patients and customers. We respect and celebrate the diversity of our people, their backgrounds and experiences and provide equal opportunity for all.
Join Our Talent Community