Global Head of R&D Data Office- Cambridge/MA
Cambridge, Massachusetts, Chilly-Mazarin, France
Across R&D, from early research to late development and beyond, frictionless access to a multitude of data is key, ranging from internal target and compound-specific data, experimental in vitro/in vivo data, to data from clinical trials, digital endpoints, external data from electronic health records, RWD/RWE, including well-characterized human data sets etc…. In order to make optimal use of all existing data sources and to turn data into knowledge to support decision making the newly formed “TRD Data Enabling and Governance” group has the ambition to act as a RD Chief Data Office to have the authority to guide the building of the right data processes and infrastructure, jointly with RD ITS and all RD functions Data leaders, to optimize the efficiency of our data management processes and enable an opt frictionless data access through appropriate data pipelines to our internal databases.
All these data [need to be available through a simple interface/portal that allows for appropriate aggregation, visualization, and follow-up processing. Thus any data generated or obtained should become reusable to maximize learning and set us up for greater use of analytics and data driven decision making.
In addition, building on our existing governance and data standards, the Digital Data Sciences organization is also aiming at the development of sustainable mechanism for ensuring data are FAIR (findable, accessible, interoperable, and reusable). For this we will need to implement governance for data standards, ownership and access, with a particular focus on internal data generation, access, and quality, and secondary use of clinical data, as well as raw data access from collaborations.
We are looking for a senior leader in “RD Data Enabling and Governance” to globally lead and coordinate scientists from various data management science disciplines within RD functions. The senior leader will have several direct reports but in addition coordinate scientists from various global data management science disciplines. He/she will be reporting into the Head of Digital & Data Sciences (DDS), a new platform within Sanofi R&D.
The responsibilities[ of “RD Data Enabling and Governance” leader will include:
- Act as a Chief Data Officer for Sanofi Pharma R&D, aligning with Sanofi Pasteur teams for consistency. Has decision authority on defining the data sharing and governance practices in RD: what data can be shared with whom, when, in compliance with legal requirements but optimizing the fastest access of relevant data to stakeholders who need it
- Works with legal department to define the data privacy compliance requirements and ensure they are optimally implemented
- Represent R&D in the Enterprise Information Management initiative set up and implementation, aimed at transforming the way Sanofi is generating, managing, process information and data across the company
- Jointly with RD ITS and RD function Data Management heads, define the specifications leading to the development and implementation of knowledge and information management systems that will seek to integrate internal and external data over a wide-range of biological scales, for incorporation into ML and AI platforms including modeling and simulation
- Work in collaboration with business and R&D IS subject matter experts to:
- Establish R&D standards on the nomenclature, content and structure of information (structured and unstructured data) and metadata
- Define and govern rules for information and metadata and maintain taxonomy consistency
- Define functional and technical requirements on information standards and metadata management for enabling technologies
- Educate and guide R&D teams on standards and information management principles, methodologies, best practices, etc.
- Collaboratively plan for where, what & how standards, metadata & master & reference data are managed in systems to ensure that information provided meets expected needs of business and uses versions, dictionaries, standards, that are needed to support research and ensure regulatory compliance
- Communicate and lead setting up of business purpose, strategy and on-going iterative approach for the knowledge and information standards activities.
- Work with external vendors to ensure that the diverse sources of data for RD are properly integrated curated and ready for analytical exploitation
- Facilitate the use, reuse, sharing and exchange of information across Sanofi R&D functions and initiatives.
- Participate in the evaluation of new technologies and innovation projects related to information management
- Actively participate in, follow, and represent Sanofi in external activities related to information and knowledge management
- Bring external learning back to Sanofi for review and incorporation, as appropriate, into Sanofi internal processes and architecture.
- Communicate internally and externally within industry on information management related topics (standards, processes and technology-enablement).
- Keep abreast of industry trends in information management, integration and sharing.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- preferably PhD (MS can be considered if extensive experience) with at least 12 years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry or related fields, with a deep experience in clinical, translational, discovery, genetic/-omic data and analytics
- Strong record of accomplishments and experience in Data Strategy, Management, information standards, governance and processes
- Strategy and vision to anticipate the deep mutations in the data, technology and analytical realms that need to be factored in our data governance approaches
- Demonstrated leadership experience and demeanor to spearhead implementation of information standards required to meet discovery and drug development processes.
- A change agent with a combination of business, technology, and diplomatic skills, deep knowledge of drug discovery and development information and processes.
- Thorough understanding of R&D missions, activities, and data related practices and specific requirements
Sanofi Inc. and its U.S. affiliates are Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employers committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; nationality; marital, domestic partnership or civil union status; sex, gender, gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation; disability; veteran or military status or liability for military status; domestic violence victim status; atypical cellular or blood trait; genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing) or any other characteristic protected by law.
At Sanofi diversity and inclusion is foundational to how we operate and embedded in our Core Values. We recognize to truly tap into the richness diversity brings we must lead with inclusion and have a workplace where those differences can thrive and be leveraged to empower the lives of our colleagues, patients and customers. We respect and celebrate the diversity of our people, their backgrounds and experiences and provide equal opportunity for all.
Join Our Talent Community